I want to force a webcam to only use a specific resolution.
- Discord and facebook etc seem to default to maximum resolution, and I want to stop this behaviour in preference to lower resolution and higher framerate...by default , for all applications.
- BUT I would prefer to retain the original /dev/video0 as well as create a new resolution-limited /dev/video1 (and I understand modprobe v4l2loopback)
- Has these controls, but either I misunderstand the 'permanence' of it's settings, or applications like discord ignore them.
- I can work this to pipe into a second /dev/video (which is ideal) but I dont understand the syntax to, or even if i can feed v4l2 parameters into it.
- Remember: I do not want to crop a video feed, i want to specify the cameras output resolution.
- ffmpeg method is not ideal, as I would either need to have the camera always reading video, or start it specifically for video broadcast.
- This seems like it might be the solution, but I'd prefer to create a second /dev/videoX rather than limit the resolution on the primary one.