When changing a keyboard shortcut in Word, I don't always know how the associated command is called, so it's cumbersome to search for it in the customize ribbon -> keyboard shortcuts command list.

I know there's a keyboard shortcut that can be pressed, the mouse cursor will transform into the "command" key symbol. After that, if another keyboard shortcut is pressed, such as ctrl+N, the menu interface to change the associated command (in this case: "New Document") will open automatically.

I've used that method many times, but now I forgot the shortcut. A web search didn't help. How's that keyboard shortcut ?

  • It is not hard to find the keyboard shortcuts (support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/…) but it has proven for me to be faster overall (vastly faster if I forget something) just to use the menus.
    – John
    Jul 9, 2021 at 11:45

1 Answer 1


Word for Windows: Ctrl+Alt+Numeric Keypad "+"

My preference, though, is to assign them through the Customize the Keyboard button on the Customize the Ribbon dialog. Here is my article on Assigning Keyboard Shortcuts in Word 2007-2019.

See my other article on creating a list of keyboard shortcuts (I recommend to pdf).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.