I have a desktop computer that is hosting a media server and I also use it almost on a daily basis for photo/video editing. It recently started to behave strangely by freezing randomly.
When does the freeze happen?:
- only if I'm using the computer, never when only turned on for the media server
- It will freeze after 1 week or 2 of being ON in normal conditions
- If I listen to music for some time it will freeze the same day, I can reproduce the freeze easily by having a app (any app) play music (local files or streaming) for a few hours.
How does it freeze?:
- I can feel it will freeze soon when I use an app and the app starts getting less responsive, it can be any app (browser, photo editing, etc). From that point, I can still close apps and switch windows for about 15 seconds before I completely lose control.
- Once frozen, the mouse cursor still runs on screen as usual but it does not control anything, only option is reboot with the reboot button.
- If audio was playing during the freeze, it may enter in an audio loop of the sound sample of that moment.
What did I try?:
- Due to the fact that audio seemed to have an impact on the freeze, I did uninstall and re-install audio drivers from my motherboard audio. Also tried different versions of the driver.
- Next, thinking perhaps a hardware issue, I uninstalled all audio drivers and disabled the Realtek onboard audio from the bios and replaced it by a Sound Blaster Audigy FX. Unfortunately the same issue occurs.
- I also tried to look for some info in Windows Event Viewer but I cannot see any entries describing an issue at the time of the freeze.
What are the specs of my system?:
- Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core (12 threads)
- Motherboard Gigabyte B450 AORUS M (Bios F50)
- RAM 32.0 GB G.SKILL DDR4-3200 (2xF4-3200C16-16GVK)
- Powersupply Corsair CX 650M
- Audio Card Sound Blaster Audigy FX
- GPU GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB
Sorry for the long post but I felt all details were important. Thanks.