Does this icon have a specific name?

It is formed of a vertical line on the left and a horizontal line along the top, and then an arrow at 45° pointing towards the bottom right - a horizontally reflected uppercase L.

It shows up in the bottom right corner of some sections of the ribbon within Microsoft Office products, including font and alignment.

Clicking it opens additional tools in a dialog window.

I searched online and I searched microsoft kb as well.

  • 3
    It would be something like more settings or expanded view
    – LPChip
    Aug 8, 2022 at 6:40
  • 2
    Thank You. But is there a Microsoft link which tells me the exact name for this icon?
    – Dhruva
    Aug 8, 2022 at 6:49
  • 2
    Not that I know of. If I knew, the above would've been posted as an answer, not a comment.
    – LPChip
    Aug 8, 2022 at 6:49
  • 1
    There doesn't seem to be a Unicode character for it, but ⇲ is SOUTH EAST ARROW TO CORNER and ⇱ is NORTH WEST ARROW TO CORNER so if it's ever standardised then the smart money is on SOUTH EAST ARROW FROM CORNER Aug 11, 2022 at 2:13

2 Answers 2


Office documentation calls this button the "Dialog Box Launcher". For example:

  • 1
    "Popout" would be a far more sensible name, but it does appear that Microsoft created their own opaque name. If writing documentation for users, I would recommend including both the official Microsoft name and the name a user is likely to recognize and/or search for. Aug 9, 2022 at 20:58

That is a Dialog Box Launcher Control.

Dialog box launcher in Microsoft Word

A dialog box launcher is an iconic arrow that activates various options in the ribbon menu of Microsoft Office products.

The dialog box launcher brings up different options depending on the group being used. Clicking on the icon opens a dialog box related to the choices in the menu group.

Dialog Box Launcher Control

More info here:


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .