My iMac died (power supply issue, out of warranty), so I took it apart to get at the HDD to recover some files. In the process, I managed to remove the LCD panel.

My question is: is it possible/does there exist an adapter that I can use to convert this panel (with an internal connector) into an external monitor that accepts a DVI input?

  • Interesting question. I'd say if you have to ask, then no. You'd have to make or find prefabricated needed converters and such things are a bit complicated.
    – AndrejaKo
    Aug 13, 2010 at 17:13
  • 2
    There are converter cards for this sort of thing but it's a huge pain and probably not worth your trouble. (Probably something like orbitmicro.com/global/lvds-vga-r10-p-10904.html?ref=base)
    – Shinrai
    Aug 13, 2010 at 18:36
  • What would make it a huge pain? I mean, I know that its not something that people do every day, but it seems to me like I could just buy the converter card Shinrai suggested and plug it in. I guess I would still need to find some way to get power to the panel. Aug 14, 2010 at 18:08
  • I have a dead white MacBook, so this question is interesting to me too. Are the displays of iMac and MacBook comparable in the way they are connected?
    – ischeriad
    Aug 14, 2010 at 21:47

1 Answer 1


The short answer is no. The long one, probably yes, but you need extensive electrical knowledge. Here is a tutorial, but it's in french: http://users.skynet.be/fa835376/pas%20a%20pas.pdf

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.