iPhone headsets have both microphone and headphone functionality using 1 jack. However, my computer has two jacks for two different things: Microphone and headphones. How can I use it for both on my computer?


You should be able to find an adapter that has two plugs for your computer.

Here's one I found by googling, but I can't vouch for the site myself: http://www.showmecables.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=8183#

  • This works, but I am not sure if that is a economic solution. – Doug Aug 17 '10 at 1:56

The iPhone headset jack is TRRS, so it's a total of 3 channels (1 in, 2 out) with a common ground. This web page has the pinout and some other information: http://geekspeak.org/blog/2008/08/12/iphone-headset-plug
(TRRS = LeftRightGroundMic)

Someone may know of a breakout box or cable, but you're probably going to need to know some electrical engineering to solder a solution for yourself.


It would be much less hassle for you to buy another headset for your computer. Analogue headsets are extremely cheap on eBay, although I would recommend that you spent a bit more on a USB headset (maybe Plantronics or Logitech) if you are going to use it a lot.

  • 1
    I'm the downvoter. This really doesn't answer the question. The OP does not want to purchase another headset for some reason, this is quite clear. And I honestly think that the information in this answer, that generic headsets are cheap falls under "obvious common knowledge". – ppeterka Jan 27 '14 at 9:55

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.