I'm having an issue where my Windows 7 machine at work likes to move all of my opened applications to the primary monitor.
This happens whenever bringing the monitors back from "power save" mode. My guess is that at some point, the secondary monitor goes into power-save mode, and the other one hasn't done so yet. Then the OS tries to help me by moving everything on to the primary, so that when I come back from lunch or from a meeting, all of my windows have to be moved back to their proper monitor.
A few notes about the setup:
- The monitors are different sizes / brands (our company changed suppliers from Dell to HP)
- the primary (Dell 2408WFP) is connected by DVI, and the secondary is connected by VGA (HP L1950).
- The OS is Windows 7 Professional
- When I walk away from the machine, I am required to lock it. This results in a pure black screen on the secondary monitor, which could be why it goes into power save mode early.
- One time (out of about 30 times), the reverse seemed to happen. my taskbar and all of my applications were moved to the secondary monitor, and I had to change the configuration to make the other monitor the primary again.
- Display adapter is listed as
Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipsetin Device Manager
- I don't have admin rights on the machine
Does anyone know what I can do to prevent this issue?