My Windows 10 laptop just had a windows update, during the update it got stuck on a black screen.
What I've tried
- Wait for several hours
- Hold the power button to see if restarting would help, only black screen, no bios splash screen. It also does not seem to turn on the LCD backlight.
- Connect an external monitor into the HDMI port, no video output.
- Pull out the battery, wait for 5 minutes, put it back in and turn on, still nothing.
- Watch. The disk activity light blinks on once every 8-9 seconds and the fan spins, but that's about all activity to speak of.
Does anyone know what else I can try? It seems unlikely the hardware would have died because of the update, especially since the only system drive is a healthy SSD.
- Tried removing the power cable and battery, holding the power button for 30+ sec, plugging battery back in. Behavior is the same.
- Tried booting from an ultimate boot CD USB I just made (ultimatebootcd.com). Still no startup splash screen as I feared.
- Tried using the VGA output rather than the HDMI, no output.
- Tried taking out the SSD, no video with or without bootable USB.
Maybe the the CPU actually happened to die during the windows update :( It is quite an old laptop after all. I will take the SSD and install it into my PC to see if I can boot off of it that way so I can hopefully at least access my files.
I also tried taking out each of the RAM sticks one by one to see if one was broken. When I finally took out both RAM sticks and heard no error beeps I came to the sad conclusion the motherboard or CPU probably died and I should consider the laptop lost. It was a soldier though, working smoothly for the full 10 years of active use with even the battery still being in good working order. Luckily all my data is still intact on the SSD so besides finding a replacement laptop there's nothing left to do.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.