Would like to add a 2nd SSD in a Lenovo ThinkBook 16p G2 ACH laptop.

According to the Hardware Maintenance Manual you have to wrap it in the following:

enter image description here

(this then gets in contact with a silicon pad which is already in the laptop)

This is what they say about it:

Go to https://support.lenovo.com/partslookup to look up the Lenovo part numbers of the following replacement parts:

Solid-state drive (SSD) Cu Foil mylar

However, there are zero results on their site and searching online for these terms is rather inconclusive.

I suppose that people might call these differently than Lenovo does...


What is the name of this foldable copper sheet for SSDs?

  • 2
    It literally says in the image... SSD Cu (chemical symbol for copper) foil mylar. Dec 6, 2023 at 15:27
  • I know... search the web about that, you get some weird AliExpress stuff...
    – aybe
    Dec 6, 2023 at 16:50
  • 1
    From that manual, it appears you need a whole kit: "thermalpads", SSD holders, and "SSD Cu foil mylar" are all not reusable. Perhaps a Lenovo service place might sell them... or not. Perhaps hardwarerecs.stackexchange.com could help? Dec 6, 2023 at 17:04
  • 1
    It's Cu (Copper) Foil Mylar Tape (also known as polyester tape). It's likely overkill. You could probably just an appropriate thick thermal pad. I found polyester tape on Amazon. I would just skip it....
    – Ramhound
    Dec 6, 2023 at 17:50
  • 1
    @aybe - Yes, it is. Your screenshots literally gave that name of the tape. I found plenty of results which were nonconducting
    – Ramhound
    Dec 7, 2023 at 12:13


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .