I am hoping to find a way to do more performance monitoring--specifically, I hope that monitoring disk activity on a per-process basis will help me decide which programs are causing the most trouble (aside from the AV). I'd rather avoid a shotgun approach.

For windows XP, is there a process monitor that can give me a solid idea of which processes are slowing me down by causing the most page faults, etc? Thanks!


Perhaps enabling the I/O reads and writes in the task manager (ctrl+shift+esc). When looking at the processes in task manager select View then Select Columns. Look for the I/O read optiona nd I/O write option and click them.

This is what I get:

alt text

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks! This is just what I needed. I ended up using Page Faults and PF Delta, for the most part. – K Robinson Apr 15 '14 at 20:53
  • Network communication is IO as well. With heavy usage of internet this makes the numbers quite uncertain. – Tomáš Zato - Reinstate Monica Mar 5 '15 at 12:27
  • @TomášZato this is true, but if a process is heavily spamming a disk drive, you'll more than likely be able to detect it using this method. – James Mertz Mar 5 '15 at 14:37

While I prefer the accepted answer, there is another way with the existing task manager.

  • Task manager > Performance (tab) > Resource Monitor (button) > Disk (tab)

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • This does get the "True" read/write IO to the disk drives. If have a lot of network or other IO traffic, the accepted answer may be masked by those other operations. This is a better option in this case. – James Mertz Mar 5 '15 at 14:40

I like the freeware Process Explorer. It provides a bit more detail than the Windows Task Manager, including per-process I/O graphs. Great for immediately spotting processes doing a lot of disk I/O.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.