104-key Windows keyboards have this key with a sort of context-menu icon on it, which on Windows simulates a right-mouse-button-press. I'd like to make it act as a right-hand-site 'Option' key instead. Is there a tool somewhere that would allow me to do this?


Look for a mac driver for your keyboard. I use a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. Microsoft provides an additional panel for the System Preferences app which lets me assign functions to the many, many extra keys on my keyboard.

For this specific option for a Microsoft keyboard and using the Microsoft preferences panel, click on the "Options" sub-pane and check the "Reassign Application key" checkbox. This turns the context menu button into an additional option button.

| improve this answer | |
  • Looked like the right approach, but setting the application key to "Type Option" does not result in that occurring. Blargh. – Chris R Aug 7 '09 at 20:49

Check out DoubleCommand. It allows you to remap the modifier keys quite extensively.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    No go, that's not one of DoubleCommand's options. – Chris R Aug 7 '09 at 20:51

I think this blog post over at macosxhints is as close as you will get :) Keyboard mapping seems to be pretty complicated in OS X.

| improve this answer | |
  • That article is from 2001. – Doug Harris Aug 6 '09 at 16:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.