I've got a Dell Studio XPS 1640 laptop (with an ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card) running Windows 7, and just bought a Dell 3007HPC 30-inch monitor for it. I'm trying to figure out how to get the full 2560x1600 experience out of this setup.
Here's what I've done so far:
- Plug in using an HDMI cable and an HDMI-->D-DVI converter on the monitor side.
- Open up Screen Resolution. Maximum supported setting is 1920x1080.
- Tried that (several times) - sometimes it doesn't work at all (blank screen); other times, it only shows the first 1280x800 pixels on the bigger screen.
- Tried using the Catalyst control center - played with various settings there, couldn't get the screen to show anything interesting.
- Tried using PowerStrip to set a custom resolution, again, no luck.
- Spoke to a Dell Preferred Custom Support guy for about an hour before giving up. He remote-accessed my computer, and told me that (1) The maximum supported resolution for XPS 1640 is 1920x1080, and (2) 'it seems to be working from where he sees it, must be a connection issue'.
None of this has helped. Does anybody have ideas? Should I be using a different cable set up? Am I using Powerstrip wrong?