I'm working on a document in Word 2007. Somehow, when I was moving things around, a phantom footnote was introduced. (See attached image.) I have not been able to delete it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
- Go to beginning of document.
- Click the References tab.
- Click Show Notes.
- Click Next Footnote until the cursor moves to a position where a footnote does not exist.
- That is the phantom footnote.
- Delete the next around the cursor.
Providing you haven't made a lot of changes since, undo (ctrl + Z) always fixes things like these :)
Turn on the Show/hide feature. Search through the document for the 'hidden' footnotes in the body of the text and delete.