I need a terminal application for linux with support for custom scripts and support to bind this scripts for hotkeys.

For example I login into computers hundreds times a day. I don't want to write login and password, but to press a hotkey. For example, Ctrl + Z to automate this process: [input login, press Enter, input password, press enter, input some command...]

What application can you suggest to me?

  • 2
    Why not just use expect to automate the logins? Or use autokey or xdotool scripts to create hotkeys that work with any terminal emulator?
    – frabjous
    Oct 16 '10 at 15:03
  • I feel shame I didn't know about these utilityes. Sounds like that's what I need. I'll check and reply as soon as I can.
    – PocketSam
    Oct 17 '10 at 10:30
  • Looks like it's the most suitable application for now. Thanks. A bit buggy application, but fits my needs.
    – PocketSam
    Oct 19 '10 at 5:35

Bitvise Tunnelier, from the maker of PuTTY. Save login credentials as Profiles, and can run scripts on startup from directories on your local machine.

  • I need to run scripts, not to use profiles, because I work through ssh from home. I cant access switches directly. There are enormous number of profiles, so it would be inconvenient to have that much. Putty has profiles too, so I wouldn't ask this question, because I know it. And I'm operating linux, so linux applications are preffered.
    – PocketSam
    Oct 16 '10 at 8:35

What is a "commutator"?

To avoid typing usernames and passwords with Putty logins, can you set up public key authentication on the servers and use SSH logins? If you run Pageant then you don't even need to keep re-keying the password for the keyfile but still have it secure.

Here's someone who apparently solved your problem http://www.testingminded.com/2009/10/putty-automatic-logon-script-logonputty.html

  • Looks like I'm bad in English. By "commutator" I meannt devices like DLink DES-3550, 3220 we use in our network.
    – PocketSam
    Oct 17 '10 at 10:25
  • 1
    "Ethernet switches" is the more usual way to describe this class of products. The ones that you can SSH into are probably in the sub-group that are usually described as "managed switches". Oct 17 '10 at 11:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.