I have BT Infinity broadband (UK) which is Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) and then VDSL from the cabinet to the property.

BT supply a BT Openreach branded modem to work with the VDSL connection.

My question is: Will any standard ADSL2+ modem be able to handle a VDSL input if the settings are correctly adjusted?

My suspicions point me to the conclusion that the Openreach branded modem is just a basic ADSL modem (the VDSL acronym does not appear on the hardware at all, only an LED marked "DSL"), and I read that VDSL was the same technology as ADSL but with higher frequency downstream and upstream rates. Is this true?


It would be equivalent to trying to use an ADSL modem for an ADSL2 circuit. So no, it would not work, as ADSL, ADSL2 and VDSL are all different standards on the same family of technology, DSL.

  • -1. I have an ADSL2+ connection, and connecting with an ASDL1 modem works just fine. (At ADSL1 speeds, of course.) – Nikos C. Jul 19 '15 at 18:13

It is unlikely that this will work, unless your modem is designed to support both.

Whilst they are both digital subscriber lines, ADSL and VDSL are different standards. See here:



Yes. It does.

I am using D-Link 2750u modem for a VDSL connection of 16 MBPS for more than 2 years. I am getting 14.5 download speed and 1 MBPS upload speed. I am within 2 Kilometers distance from the telephone exchange.

One problem with the D-Link modem is that the firmware is not upgraded for more than 3 years.

  • I think that you have simply an ADSL connection, since the speeds you reported do almost perfectly match the maximum speed of ADSL. And your answer contradicts the other two. – user907860 Mar 14 at 12:50
  • Sorry I might be wrong, cannot remove the downvote now – user907860 Mar 14 at 12:57

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.