In a new version of Evolution there is an option for an 'IMAP+' server type. What is IMAP+?
In short, it lets you access your mail on a remote server. It does not download the mail to the local client so that any changes made on any client are reflected on the server and therefore globally accessible. This is useful for people who check mail on multiple devices. See IMAP on Wikipedia for more details.
I had been working for a while on improving the imap support in evolution. Took the imapx provider which was written by Michael Zuchhi (aka Notzed) and getting it ready for replacing the existing IMAP provider. To summarize what is present,
- Fetch messages in batches
- Fetch messages with large attachments in multiple pieces
- IDLE support (push mail for imap)
- All operations on messages
- Cancel operations
The items which am working on are,
- Store operations (folder delete/create etc.)
- Preference options
- Connection manager to allow concurrent folder access (configurable one)
- Smart background message caching
- Mutliple namespace support