I am looking for a tool, which helps me to organize my personal bookmarks.

I want to be able to assign tags and free comments to a bookmark.

I want to search my bookmarks by

  • tags
  • date of bookmarking
  • pattern in title
  • pattern in url

It would be nice to be web based to enable sharing my bookmarks between different machines.

But for it would be OK, if it works on a single machine as long as it has some import/export way to transfer the links to a new machine replacing the old.

As browsers I'm using Firefox and ChromePlus. It would be nice, if the solution works with both browsers.

With free comments, I mean additional remarks stored for a bookmark, which is not essential for searching.

  • This question is off topic, as it is not programming related. For software recommendations you should go to superuser.com – Oded Jan 16 '11 at 11:52
  • Sorry, not really a question for stack-overflow. Perhaps superuser.com? (sister site to SO) – user27869 Jan 16 '11 at 11:52
  • meanwhile I found mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_bookmarks_tutorial.html . Can you tell me about Firefox Extensions expanding Firefox's bookmark manager? – bernd_k Jan 16 '11 at 12:49

I've been using Xmarks for some time now, and I think that it supports everything you listed. You can synchronize bookmarks across several computers and there's a web interface for bookmark management.

They did switch to freemium model recently, but I think that all bookmark capabilities are still free.

  • I used xmark in the past. But stopped last the end of 2010. Didn't notice that they are back. blog.xmarks.com/?p=2007. Good to know. Xmarks solves the sync part and I just found that Firefox Bookmark manager fulfills most of my other requirements – bernd_k Jan 16 '11 at 12:37

You can use Delicious. http://www.delicious.com/ extension.addon are available for both browsers.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.