In Photoshop on Mac OS X I would like to program Command-Shift-[ and Command-Shift-] to switch between tabs (the different open files). I don't mind losing their functionality as Send-to-Front / Send-to-Back, but I can't figure out where I need to put them in on the "Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus" editor. Help!

  • 2
    From a deleted answer: Photoshop already has keyboard shortcut Control + Tab to switch between tabs. – slhck Oct 24 '11 at 6:59

This answer is not Photoshop-specific, but might work anyway, if it's a reasonably well-behaved OS X application.

If there are menu items for these commands (like Select Next Tab in Safari's Window menu), you can assign them different keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences » Keyboard » Keyboard Shortcuts » Application Shortcuts

Select the application (e.g. Safari), enter the menu item title (e.g. Select Next Tab) and enter the desired keyboard shortcut (e.g. Cmd-Shift-[).


enter image description here

The same preference pane contains the OS X global shortcut for cycling through an application's windows:

enter image description here

Change this setting to change it for all applications.

  • 1
    I knew these things existed, but didn't think they would apply. After reading your solution I did have the idea that Photoshop was overriding the default actions for those keys, and so I should "unset" them in Photoshop, hoping they would function as they do in other applications. Unfortunately it didn't work. I wish I could use your method, but as far as I can tell the options are simply not in the menu anywhere. s3.postimage.org/iy2so9tw5/photoshop.jpg – cwd Jan 30 '11 at 21:50
  • @cwd The second suggestion also doesn't work with the global shortcut? I'm not a PS user, so I can't experiment myself. – Daniel Beck Jan 30 '11 at 22:00
  • I tried to define a Photoshop specific keyboard shortcut with method #2, but I got an error s2.postimage.org/ltlapry63/Picture_2.png I also redefined the <code>Command-`</code> shortcut but it did not change the default behavior in Photoshop, as far as I can tell. I'm so used to using the Command combination in other apps to switch between windows - I wish Photoshop would let me set it up to do the same thing. – cwd Jan 31 '11 at 0:04
  • @cwd Interesting. I've honestly never encountered this before. I refer you to the second sentence of my answer for an explanation :-) Good luck! – Daniel Beck Jan 31 '11 at 0:11

Press Command (Control on Windows) and the ~ (the tilde key) Here is a link to more info: http://vectips.com/tips-and-tricks/quick-tip-quickly-switch-between-open-tabbed-documents/

  • Please expand upon your answer—link-only answers aren't very useful by themselves and can become invalid if the linked page changes. – bwDraco Apr 15 '15 at 23:38
  • This only cycles through all open documents, rather than cycling forward and backward through open tabs within a single window. – jtheletter Apr 30 '18 at 18:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.