I have a Microsoft Natural keyboard, which has an almost broken cable. The cable's outer isolation broke right outside the casing. Now I wanted to cut that part of the cable and simply solder the cable to the board (As I thought the cable was attached by soldering already).

However, as I opened the keyboard I saw that there is a connector which looks quite like this one:

enter image description here

Now I have a few questions. What are connectors like this called. I need the name to buy the right crimp tool. The housing of the connector could be reused, thus I only need the inner metallic parts for crimping. As this would have a very small diameter my question is if this might be the right tool?

enter image description here

A friend has this crimp tool but it would probably be of no use, as it is only for bigger cables. This one is here:

enter image description here

Has anyone any experience with this stuff? Or any suggestions of a nice and clean solution without a crimp tool? I'd be happy for any suggestions. If nothing works, I could still solder the cable to the board, but a connector is in my opinion the prettier solution.

  • 1
    I would solder it before I'd buy a crimping tool I'm likely to never use again, but that's me.
    – Shinrai
    Commented Feb 22, 2011 at 0:05
  • @Shinrai The tool would be about 18 bucks (I'd buy a cheap one not the one from the post g). That is cheaper than a new keyboard and i have missed the tool a few times before. I think it won't be the last time i use it.
    – Darokthar
    Commented Feb 22, 2011 at 0:16

1 Answer 1


It looks like a pretty standard 4 pin polarized molex interconnect. I do not think one actually crimps the connector, but rather crimps these contacts to the wires and slides them into the housing. I agree with Shinrai that it would be easier to splice in, and solder to the exposed wires in the picture.

  • I worked with similar connectors before and this is the correct answer! Just be sure to orient the cables correctly before connecting the metal pieces.
    – AndrejaKo
    Commented Feb 22, 2011 at 0:43
  • @AndrejaKo thanks for the advise. Be sure, this is not the first time i mess around with cables and hardware. I just used soldering before but this time I'm really considering buying the crimp tool.
    – Darokthar
    Commented Feb 22, 2011 at 20:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .