How do I type tick and backtick on Windows?

  • 1
    What keyboard layout do you have? For US QWERTY, the backtick is they key to the left of the numeral "1". There is no "tick", but you may mean the single quote which on a US QWERTY keyboard is between the Enter key and the semicolon. – Dennis Williamson Mar 6 '11 at 23:10
  • I need to know this for the screen based Windows 8 keyboard, so I have asked this again specifically about that keyboard: superuser.com/q/663134/166855 – dumbledad Oct 23 '13 at 9:38
  • 2
    What you are looking for is an acute accent (´). – JakeGould Feb 18 '15 at 4:54
  • @JakeGould Interestingly enough the post you mention actually doesn't have the proper "alt code" for acute accent. – Goblinlord Feb 18 '15 at 5:24
  • 1
    On my Turkish QWERTY keyboard, when I press Alt-Gr + ,, it writes backtick`, – Burak Karakuş Mar 31 '16 at 7:50

Backtick (grave accent)


Key that’s been marked with red border. It’s a dead key by default.



Alt Gr + Key that’s been marked with red border


AZERTY Belgium

Alt Gr + Key that’s been marked with red border

AZERTY Belgium

Forwardtick (acute accent)

AZERTY Belgium

Alt Gr + Key that’s been marked with red border

AZERTY Belgium

Alt codes

There are no forwardtick keys available for the other keyboards, however an alt code exists (Hold left Alt and type the numbers on your num pad). The below codes should work on any keyboard.

  • Alt + 96 = `
  • Alt + 0180 = ´
  • Alt + 39 = '

So if you want an ', you do the following: Hold left Alt, press 3, release 3 but still hold Alt, press 9, release 9, release Alt.

Unicode Character 'ACUTE ACCENT'

  • 1
    -1 u put all this effort in getting the images,even a red border aroudn the key,but the relevant mark on the key is so tiny it's hard2see what it is and in some cases look like a dot or dirt on my screen!They r extremely unclear images with a highlighted border around a key creating the illusion of clarity cos normally a highlight around an area clearly shows the thing it is around.i'm not even sure that'forwardtick'is a proper name. And the pictures just show specks! That red speck on the belgium keyboard key has a black speck too.I can only just ascertain which direction red speck is going – barlop Sep 30 '14 at 21:16
  • And the french keyboard image with the 7 and the e, and a tiny tiny little speck, that is the worst of all the bad pics you have there. Even clicking the image doesn't help in ascertaining what that character -you have highlighted- is!! Makes me wonder why you even bothered to highlight it. You may as well have said hit the 7 key it has a tick going one way or the other, that you want. Reading your answer carefully I see the french one is a bad tick , from titled backtick at the top, but the image doesn't help at all in showing whether it's back or forward. – barlop Sep 30 '14 at 21:21
  • 7
    @barlop it's about the location which should be the same on all keyboards of the same localisation. – BloodPhilia Oct 1 '14 at 22:05
  • 2
    Can I dovnvote a comment or two? If I could, I would... – Per Lundberg Jul 6 '18 at 20:08
  • what is 0180? What character is that? – Alexander Mills May 24 at 2:12

On a Hungarian keyboard the backtick character is available via AltGr+7 (RightAlt+7).


On Brazilian ABNT2 keyboards, the back tick key is the key between "P" and "[/{" keys.

It is also know as grave accent. To use it, press shift + "`" and then "space".

Brazilian Portuguese

Nos teclados brasileiros ABNT2, o tal de "back tick" é o acento grave, entre a tecla "P" e "[/{". Para usar, aperte "Shift" + crase e depois barra de espaço.


While Num Lock is enabled hold Alt and type 0180 on the keypad then release the Alt key. This will result in a forwardtick/acute accent.


Norwegian keyboards has the backtick as a dead character. Press Shift + key_left_of_backspace then Space.

Image here: enter image description here


On German keyboard, backtick ´ is on the left to backspace , or right to ß key.

You need to press that key and then press space to show up the ´ character.

enter image description here


Fancy Logitech keyboard

right Fn key+TOP LEFT KEY

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.