I need a tool that allowed me to make smooth transitions between videos. Windows Movie Maker doesn't allow that as far as I know.
In Adobe After Effects CS5 it's pretty easy.
- Put video 1 in a layer of your composition
- Put video 2 in a layer below that
- Expand video 1 layer details
- Click in the stopwatch symbol right next the Opacity setting
- Set the opacity to 100% for a given point in time
- Select another point in time
- Set the opacity to 0%
You can do the same to audio. Use 0 db instead of 100% and -40db instead of 0%