As luck would have it, my computer dealer shipped me a laptop with a Canadian French keyboard

Canadian French keyboard layout

instead of a US keyboard

US keyboard layout

Instead of saying how much Canadians from sea to sea hate this keyboard layout and hate being transitioned into it in the last couple of years, I'd like to ask for a software solution. Is there a software that can map the [>>/<<] key to [Shift] and the [> < }] to [Enter], et cetera?

+1 if you can suggest how to type the "\".

-1 if you suggest, 'Just order a US keyboard. Replacing it takes a minute.' :)

  • What happens if you simply tell your computer that it's an en-us keyboard instead of fr-ca? I don't know how to do this on Windows, unfortunately.
    – Kromey
    May 12, 2011 at 0:54
  • I don't know why manufactures insist on this new design for Canadian laptops. Always order mine from the US because of this.
    – Jedidja
    May 31, 2011 at 16:54

1 Answer 1


You might check out the question I asked earlier about key mapping. I put up a tut there for how to assign keys using the registry and another user, Yosh, put a link to some software that will do this for you.

I've never tried this on a french keyboard before but if you decide to do it manually, this hex key should map '\' to alt+1


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.