I'm probably just entering the wrong search terms, but I'm pretty sure the firefox addons site has an addon that enables tabs in tabs.

For instance, a master tab for all news sites, one for all games sites, one for all programming, etc...

It's much easier to manage that way.

Does anybody know what it's called and where I can find this?


I just installed Tree Style Tab on Firefox 3.5.2 (OS X). It's rather sweet! It gives you a hierarchical tab bar on the side of your browser window (which you can set to auto hide).

It doesn't look like it supports manual tab renaming so you'll have to use, say, google.com as your gmail/cal/reader/analytics/etc. holder.

Thanks for asking the question; wish I'd thought of looking for an add-on like this sooner.

| improve this answer | |
  • 3
    You can't rename tabs, but you can use groups. Just go to about:treestyletab-group?GroupName – Dan Walker Aug 25 '09 at 0:17

Tab Kit has some cool extras over Tree Style Tab, like coloring each group distinctly. Give both a try (but not at the same time!).

| improve this answer | |
  • nice but doesn't work with Firefox Quantum – Albin Sep 23 '18 at 23:29

I went to the Firefox Add-ons site, searched for keyword "group" in the "Tabs" category, and got back a bunch of add-ons that should work for you: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=group&cat=1%2C93. I'm not sure which one specifically you're after, but it should appear in that list somewhere.

| improve this answer | |

This feature has now been added natively in Firefox 5 and you can find more information on the support site. It's a bit preliminary and has some issues, but it's looking promising.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.