I have this image with a gradient as below:

blue tab with gradient

I need to change it to the color #D21108 (type of RED). Of course, I do not want to paint it to this color, but to change the color to #D21108 and its shades (like I do in Photoshop via Brush > Colour Replacement). I have all info about this color, values of RGB, CMYK, Lab and HSV if you need them.

Now, I guess I can easily change it via GIMP's menu "Colors". I tried options Color Balance, Hue-Saturation, Colorize, but I did not find a way to enter the starting color I need. I was closest to my aim via Hue-Saturation, but I could not get this red value, no matter what I tried.

As I am not a graphics expert, please tell me how to accomplish this task.

PS. What's the meaning of Lab and HSV in the color scheme? I know the meaning of RGB and CMYK.

  • 1
    Its the actual image, the lines are there already. Its only due to the light colour that you cant see it directly – admintech Jun 23 '11 at 16:14
  • 1
    HSV stands for hue, saturation, value. I don't know what Lab means, though. – Wuffers Jun 29 '11 at 17:04
  • Value? What's the meaning of this? I usually find this combination hue, saturation and lightness. Is value = lightness? Regarding Lab, in the color scheme its literary what I wrote: capital 'L' and small letters 'a' and 'b' – JoeM Jun 29 '11 at 17:07
  • 1
    You image IS multiple colors. You may have started with one, but some application changed portions of it. You would need to change it to that one color, and then have the same application or process applied the same changes to that new colored image. – KCotreau Jun 29 '11 at 17:08
  • 1
    Lab is an alternative color space description where L indicates lightness, a is the red-green axis and b is the blue-yellow axis. A more complete description is found here hunterlab.com/appnotes/an08_96a.pdf – W_Whalley Jun 29 '11 at 21:43

Brush > Colour Replacement

Colour Replacement Tool


For GIMP -

Look at image title - if not RGB save it as .png or .gif
To change color wherever it is in entire image:
Select 'Color Tool' – (rectangular 3-color bar on top row)
Click on color to be changed
Select Edit and choose: Clear to eliminate color
Edit and fill with a) foreground color or b) background color

  • What about GIMP? Any ideas? – JoeM Jun 23 '11 at 14:19
  • I used GIMP tool "Select by color". Clicked on one color and got radial selection. I was able to change it but this is rather precise task because the gradient image consists of more than 3 colors (like I thought on the first place). Was this the tool you were talking about? – JoeM Jun 23 '11 at 14:50
  • PHOTOSHOP: When I use the Color replacement tool, the process is really simple, but I end up with and image that has horizontal stripes like the tool was not able to color the migration from one color to another. Could you tell me am I doing something wrong? – JoeM Jun 23 '11 at 14:55
  • 1
    youtube.com/watch?v=Zm7BCw_E9wU - Here is me doing it (I suggest switching to 480p to view properly) – admintech Jun 23 '11 at 15:06
  • Hm, I did the same. Do you think it matters if I used a smaller brush size? – JoeM Jun 23 '11 at 15:15

In Photoshop use Image->Adjustments-> Hue/Saturation. For your image this would be the easiest way to change the color.

  • This is image taken from the Internet. I have it in the form of JPG or PNG. I do not have the Photoshop file. – JoeM Jun 23 '11 at 14:41
  • Not to mention that I would have to be guru to get the color I need :) – JoeM Jun 23 '11 at 14:44

You can use Colors>Hue-Saturation. Also Colorify works for some adjustments.


i'll just post the colored version for you:

enter image description here

  • Thanks Ian, but I'd like to do it myself. Did you finish it in Photoshop or in GIMP? – JoeM Jun 30 '11 at 10:58
  • 2
    i did it in photoshop. i get the foreground first to your red (#d21108). Then Image -> Adjustments -> Hue/Saturation and check Colorize. i tried googling for the gimp equivalent of those tools ("Colorize", "Hue/Saturation"), but couldn't find it (as my comment on the question said). But i thought i'd still be helpful and just do it - since you said you needed it. – Ian Boyd Jun 30 '11 at 19:50
  • Thanks Ian. I know how to do it in Photoshop (via Color Replacement tool) in easy way. It's just that GIMP is another tool I'd like to learn how to accomplish this as well. – JoeM Jun 30 '11 at 21:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.