In vim and Notepad++ I have an awesome feature either mapped or built in that I've seen called text bubbling. I know about the Sublime documentation for mapping my own, but wanted to make sure I wasn't duplicating functionality:

Basically when I have either block of text selected, or just a cursor on a line, I push (ctrl + up/down) or some other mapping, and the text is moved up or down, in a block, and the rest of the text 'flows' around it.

Is this a native feature in Sublime Text or should I script it in?


I've found the command that controls this:

    { "keys": ["super+up"], "command": "swap_line_up" },
    { "keys": ["super+down"], "command": "swap_line_down" }

Sublime Text 2 doesn't appear to have that functionality. You can move whole lines, with ctrl + cmd + up/down, but not a smaller selection within a line.

I notice that you're using OSX. For what it's worth, Textmate has the functionality you're after. I haven't used Textwrangler in a while, so I can't say for sure whether it has this feature. It is a very good free text editor, and worth investigating regardless.

Edit: I tried Textwrangler, and while it's still a good editor, it doesn't have the feature that you're after.

However, if you're a Vim user, I've heard good things about MacVim

  • 3
    Sublime Text 2 is not free, you are required to purchase a licence for continued use... It's just not enforced. – Ben Sep 8 '11 at 18:45
  • Absolutely true Ben, removed that pointless and incorrect phrease. – Jodi Warren Apr 24 '14 at 15:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.