Emacs uses keybindings with "LFD", the Emacs FAQ provides the following information:

LFD: Linefeed or Newline; same as `C-j'

Is there a Linefeed button on my keyboard (other than C-j)?

2 Answers 2


Don't think so. In your keyboard, probably, you have only the "return", "enter" key. There's no linefeed in regular IBM-PC keyboard.

In windows you can use the Shift + Enter to mean a linefeed: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms646268%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

  • I figured out that Shift + Enter replaces C-x LFD for the emacs keybinding in question. Aug 25, 2011 at 20:19

Apparently some keyboards do have an LFD key, because the BASH docs also mention this:

If your keyboard lacks a LFD key, typing C-j will produce the desired character.


  • 2
    commodore 128 seens to be the only keyboard with a linefeed key Aug 25, 2011 at 20:24

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .