Are there any devices that do not need to be physically connected to a network (only to a power source) and just take any WiFi signal they receive and reproduce it in order to increase the range of a WiFi network?

If so, how are such devices called? Google just gives me strange DIY guides if I search for "WiFi extender".

  • 2
    I would Google for "wifi repeater" – RedGrittyBrick Sep 29 '11 at 15:50

What you're looking for is a wireless repeater, such as the Netgear WN3000RP.


It's called wireless repeater. In fact is just another wireless router configured in a special way. Check these links:

I'm linking to the DD-WRT firmware page but some routers have this feature built in. Depending on your case you could just upgrade from 802.11g to 802.11n to increase your range/speed.


It's called a wireless repeater (also called wireless range extender).

It takes an existing signal from a wireless router or access point and rebroadcasts it to create a second network. So when two or more hosts have to be connected with one another over the Wi-Fi and the distance is too long for a direct connection to be established, a wireless repeater is used to bridge the gap.

AP as Repeater

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.