I just bought a TRS-80 PC-1 pocket computer with a tape deck interface.

The tape deck has 2 standard 1/4" Mono jacks (input [speaker] and output [mic]) and 1 smaller one labeled "Remote".

None of the tape recorders that I have have a 'remote' input, can I still record/playback data tapes on them, or do I need to buy a specialized recorder?

closed as off topic by slhck, Daniel Beck, Sathyajith Bhat Nov 14 '11 at 7:45

Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    how is this off topic? – Nate Koppenhaver Nov 14 '11 at 16:59
  • 2
    Haven't a clue, other than the topic doesn't interest some people. It's clearly about computer hardware. – Daniel R Hicks Nov 14 '11 at 17:15
  • 1
    meta question about this close – Nate Koppenhaver Nov 14 '11 at 19:57

I'm about 95% sure that the old "Trash 80" was designed to work with an ordinary audio cassette recorder. But likely it needs to be able to control the motor to stop/start between data blocks.

One of your tape recorders may have a "remote" switch contact incorporated into the microphone jack, such that a simple adapter cable would make everything work.

(If the microphone that came with the recorder has a switch on it, and the plug is a 3- wire plug (tip, ring, and sleeve) then it should be adaptable.)

  • So you mean to splice the 'remote' tip to the 'mic' ring? – Nate Koppenhaver Nov 13 '11 at 19:35
  • Basically. Ideally one would do a little buzzing out with an ohmmeter first, but I'd say that you'd have 75-90% chance that "remote" tip to "mic" ring would work. – Daniel R Hicks Nov 14 '11 at 3:49

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.