Any ideas?

enter image description here

closed as not a real question by slhck, random Dec 9 '11 at 16:11

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    some context would help - what is the device in question? – Journeyman Geek Dec 9 '11 at 9:44
  • 1
    Obvously, the "I/F" stands for "Inter Face". (Yeah, would help to know the brand and age of the device... and what kind of device it is, if not a laptop.) – Daniel R Hicks Dec 9 '11 at 13:02
  • It is impossible to tell what this port is if you don't tell us what device this port is on. Is this on a laptop? A keyboard? A modem? If you don't even know what sort of device this is, try editing your post to add a picture of the whole device. Then we can stop guessing and try to come up with a reasonable hypothesis for what this port is for. I've seen this connector used for everything from power connectors, to serial ports to s-video, so we really are taking shots in the dark. – Mark Booth Dec 9 '11 at 14:29

Well, its seems to be a standard 8 pin mini din port, apparently - if its a sun or apple device, it might be a serial port - it looks identical to the passthrough port on my sun model 5c keyboard .

If it had 7 pins, i'd guess it was a firewire port, since that looks like an old macbook, but the shape is wrong.

  • Used for mice and keyboards. – soandos Dec 9 '11 at 9:49
  • Well, i can't tell. All i can say for certain is, its some sort of mini din port, and its not a sun box, so it can't be a sun serial port. I'm not even sure if its a computer - too fat for a laptop, and no obvious markings to tell what it is. Its almost like one of bunny huang's ware of the week! – Journeyman Geek Dec 9 '11 at 9:53
  • Just saying that that is what I have seen them used for. – soandos Dec 9 '11 at 10:10
  • That was my first thoughts. Sure looks like the old Mac "serial" ports. – surfasb Dec 9 '11 at 11:55
  • ya. what that connector itself is certain. I really cannot say without seeing the device. I'm trying to remember if i've seen it used for midi on professional devices. I also think some maudio internal sound cards use it as a breakout box, but this isn't one and... – Journeyman Geek Dec 9 '11 at 13:27

Been searching around, and from I've gathered, it appears to be some sort of ethernet port. Though it is nowhere mentioned explicitly

Sources: gigabit ethernet port, P113S LF A 10/100 Base-TX / 100 Base-FX Converter and some PDF

But then in another source, it is a general term for input devices (Link PDF)

  • hm. I have seen one of the latter before - fiber optic ethernet would not use pins. – Journeyman Geek Dec 9 '11 at 13:18

A lot of video cards have a port like this that is for attaching a Composite/Component breakout box dongle. This is a picture of one of the connector, but I have one at home on a 9800 GTX+ that has a different pin layout. This image is from 2004, so the pin layout has probably changed since then.

enter image description here

  • Thats one of the things wikipedia mentioned. darned non standard ports >< – Journeyman Geek Dec 9 '11 at 13:19

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.