Using Mac OSX, I quickly grew accustomed to CMD+Left and CMD+Right to jump to the beginning or the end of the line in a text-editor. On my work-PC, these combinations only jump one word left or right, as ALT+reft or right to on the Mac.

Is there a way achieve these keybindings in Windows 7 too? The system preference for keyboard only lets me pick cursor speed and such nonsense.


You can use AutoHotkey.

The CMD key translates to the Window key IIRC (I don't have a Mac keyboard handy).

Add this to the default script

#Right:: SendInput {End}
#Left:: SendInput {Home}

That will override the Window+Left,Right which snaps the window to the left and right side of the screen.

You can map the Aero Snap to something else, like Alt - Right,Left

!Right:: SendInput #{Right}
!Left:: SendInput #{Left}
  • Sounds good, I'll try this and give feedback soon. I tried Autohotkey before and found it pretty difficult to figure out even very simple things, but I'll try this. – Akku Jan 27 '12 at 8:42
  • surfasb, you're right about the Windows key. @Akku The locations of the modifier keys are different if you use a non-Apple keyboard. It might be worth it to buy one though. – Daniel Beck Jan 27 '12 at 18:32
  • why do you need to send Home and End keys why you can simply press the home/end on the keyboard? – phuclv Jun 14 '17 at 15:15

You can also use FN+Left for begining of the line, or Fn+Right for the end of the line (Home and End), which is close by the Cmd key.

EDIT: This will only work on the Apple Mac keyboards

  • Doesn't work on my machine's built in keyboard (DELL Studio). And besides, I'm using an external keyboard which doesn't feature an FN key. – Akku Jan 27 '12 at 8:41
  • Ahhh, sorry, didn't read that part that it's a different computer – Canadian Luke Jan 27 '12 at 18:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.