How important is it to keep an LCD computer monitor well-ventilated?
My friend built a DIY arcade cabinet for a video game that I programmed, and this cabinet will house an 18" LCD computer monitor inside of it. It's a tabletop cabinet made of birch plywood, about 2' by 3', and about 1.5' tall. The whole thing is covered by an acrylic sheet (Plexiglass). You can see a picture of the cabinet here (Plexiglass not pictured):
There's a small notch in the back wall for monitor cables (pictured), but other than that, there are no holes in the cabinet. It's a fully enclosed unit.
Should I be worried about keeping an LCD monitor enclosed inside of this cabinet? The monitor has vents on the top and sides, so clearly ventilation is important to some degree. There's a fair amount of empty space in the cabinet (and the aforementioned notch in the back wall for minimal heat exhaust), but should I still worry about the monitor overheating? How much heat does a typical LCD monitor generate, and, in an enclosed space, is there a risk of damaging the monitor if it overheats? What other symptoms might an overheated monitor produce?
- The monitor would not be "turned on" on a permanent basis. The game would be shown at a few separate events, for a maximum of 8 hours at a time.
- There is no other computer hardware in the cabinet. The actual computer tower is completely outside of the arcade cabinet enclosure.
The monitor is an older Dell 1800FP: