Old IBM mechanical keyboards are really nice to type on, but they lack a Windows key.

Can you buy one standalone? I imagine it having a USB cable and a single button.


Consider using Autohotkey to remap one of your Ctrl or Alt keys to simulate the Win key. Alternatively, you you can press Ctrl+Esc for the same functionality.

You can also get a custom single switch keyboard and program that to be the Windows key.

single switch keys

| improve this answer | |
  • Ha. Beat me by a few seconds. I will delete my answer. :P – iglvzx Mar 12 '12 at 1:45
  • If the user wants windows key shortcuts, this does not solve the problem fully. Windows key and l to lock or with r to bring up run will not work. Thou if the OP is only after bringing up the start menu this will work just like it has for the last 17 years. – Paperlantern Mar 12 '12 at 1:47
  • I like the big "red" panic button the best. Kudos to your for enjoying the old "buckling spring" keyboards! – G Koe Mar 12 '12 at 1:49
  • Autohotkey has a "WinKEY" Setting.... – G Koe Mar 12 '12 at 1:52
  • @Paperlantern AutoHotkey can effectively remap a key completely, and any keyboard shortcuts with the simulated key will work. – iglvzx Mar 12 '12 at 1:52

There are buckling spring keyboards, with a full 101 or 104 keyset. After looking at trying to get a good newer "Model M" I ended up here http://www.pckeyboard.com/ trying to select a perfect choice for me, that came in a buckling spring model. I am using the "spacesaver" now.

You could say some of the feel of the old style is making a return, so checking out other options like Duckey , Daskeyboard, Cherry, enduropro, and many others before picking one would be a good idea. Even sites discussing them is "big" Geekboards

A simple search at google for "mechanical keyboard" and restricting the search to "past year" will get lots of info.

So you can have your cake , with frosting, it will just take a fair ammount of research, to get the perfect one for you.

| improve this answer | |

Select a key that you absolutely will not miss. Lets take the 'Scroll Lock' key ('Rollen' in Germany).

I have never used that and probably never will.

In Windows it is possible to remap all keys with the registry, so the goal is to remap 'Scroll Lock' to 'Windows (left)'.

You can do that with the program sharpkeys. The easiest way to configure the program is to use a standard keyboard (with Windows key), so you can press the keys instead of searching them in the list.


Once you download and start sharpkeys click on 'Add'.

enter image description here

On the new window you have to select 'Type key' (1) and press the 'Lock Screen' key. Then select 'Type key' (2) and press 'Windows (left)'.

Or you can select them from the list:

  • Special: Scroll Lock (00_46)
  • Special: Left Windows (E0_5B)

Accept with 'Ok' and press 'Write to Registry'. Then restart your OS.

Now you can insert every Windows key combination by pressing 'Scroll Lock' + , 'Scroll Lock' + 'e' opens the Explorer for example.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.