I am wondering if there is a way to use the keyboard to move the current app (or at least the current window) to a new space in Lion. Currently the only method I know of is to go to Mission Control and drag the app to the new space.


The only applications I've found that support it are SizeUp and Spacey. I couldn't get Spacey to work on 10.8, but SizeUp still works for me.

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    SizeUp no longer does this for Mountain Lion – Daisy Sophia Hollman Jul 31 '12 at 15:34
  • 1
    I think that David Hollman used to be right, but it now works. I can use SizeUp to move a window left or right a space with a keyboard shortcut, on Mountain Lion. – Sean Mackesey Jan 22 '13 at 17:33

I know this question is a bit old at this point, but it still comes up in Google search results right up at the top.

Better Touch Tool:


It lets you move windows to different monitors, desktops, resize, etc. all with custom gestures or keyboard shortcuts. It's robust, supports the Apple trackpad, magic mouse, keyboard, regular mouse, Leap motion device and more.

| improve this answer | |


click within 'Shortcut to:' on OS X lion shortcuts

see 'Move between spaces on desktop (ctrl -> or ctrl <-)

| improve this answer | |
  • Please include the link here. Do you assume the second link for a Google query is always the same for everyone? – slhck Mar 12 '12 at 9:19
  • hongkiat.com/blog/osx-lion-features-shortcuts you are right I wasn't paying close enough attention. – conspiritech Mar 12 '12 at 13:04
  • maclife.com/article/gallery/… suppose this isn't what you're looking for, but you can right click in the applications icon dock and assign all windows to the current space in the options submenu. but then it will open it in that space next time you start it too, and you'll have to do it again to move it. – conspiritech Mar 12 '12 at 13:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.