Yesterday, my laptop caught a virus which caused massive damage. Since them, I have been trying to recover important files before reformatting my computer, a task the virus has not made easy.
- Restoration points predating the attack have been deleted.
- Most of my folders show empty.
- My Start menu is essentially empty, with the exception of Trillian and Mirror's Edge. The same goes for my Desktop, which only has programs which were installed after the attack.
- Searching for files through my computer is pretty much useless, as it only rarely brings up anything.
- I suspect most of my files have not been deleted. While my folders show empty, uTorrent still does display them and I can open them from here. Unfortunately, when I select Open Containing Folder, the folder still shows as completely empty even if I'm currently watching a video from that very folder.
- Further adding evidence to the not-deleted-just-missing theory, the data recovery software I'm using (Restoration) cannot find only find an handful of the missing files.
If they were deleted, I could do a forensic recovery to get them back but since they're probably still somewhere on my computer, just out out of my reach, I can't find them.
Under those circumstances, is there a way I can recover those files?