This all started when I was trying to download a podcast on my Mac. This happens in both Snow Leopard and Lion when the Ethernet interface is set to use Jumbo Frames.
prompt> curl -v -o x.mpg http://audio.wnyc.org/freakonomics_specials/freakonomics_specials041112.mp3 * About to connect() to audio.wnyc.org port 80 (#0) * Trying 126.96.36.199... Local Interface en0 is ip 172.16.1.2 using address family 2 * Local port: 0 * connected * Connected to audio.wnyc.org (188.8.131.52) port 80 (#0) > GET /freakonomics_specials/freakonomics_specials041112.mp3 HTTP/1.1 > User-Agent: curl/7.19.7 (universal-apple-darwin10.0) libcurl/7.19.7 OpenSSL/0.9.8r zlib/1.2.3 > Host: audio.wnyc.org > Accept: */* > OK < Server: nginx/0.7.65 < Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 23:39:03 GMT < Content-Type: audio/mpeg < Content-Length: 42075070 < Last-Modified: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:15:08 GMT < Connection: close < Content-Disposition: attachment < Accept-Ranges: bytes < 0 40.1M 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:24 --:--:-- 0^C
The headers come through fine, but the download never gets anywhere. This is the only web server I have this kind of trouble with, but it's still annoying and I'd like to see if there's a fix other than forgoing jumbo frames everywhere.
I determined that I can download a partial file as long as the size of the chunk I'm downloading is 1448 bytes or less. I can use range 0-1447 or 10000-11447 so it's not the position in the file, it's the size of the chunk. The WAN MTU on my router had been set to 1500, so I tried reducing it in steps until I got to 1400 and it still didn't make any difference.
I was thinking this was a problem with Path MTU Black Hole discovery because the problem goes away when I stop using jumbo frames on the ethernet interface. But I have everything set up for black hole discovery (as far as I can tell) and ping doesn't see any problem:
ping -g1435 -G1445 184.108.40.206PING 220.127.116.11 (18.104.22.168): (1435 ... 1445) data bytes 1443 bytes from 22.214.171.124: icmp_seq=0 ttl=51 time=69.223 ms 1444 bytes from 126.96.36.199: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=75.542 ms 1445 bytes from 188.8.131.52: icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=72.136 ms 1446 bytes from 184.108.40.206: icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=73.732 ms 1447 bytes from 220.127.116.11: icmp_seq=4 ttl=51 time=72.057 ms 1448 bytes from 18.104.22.168: icmp_seq=5 ttl=51 time=73.377 ms 1449 bytes from 22.214.171.124: icmp_seq=6 ttl=51 time=71.717 ms 1450 bytes from 126.96.36.199: icmp_seq=7 ttl=51 time=73.293 ms 1451 bytes from 188.8.131.52: icmp_seq=8 ttl=51 time=71.874 ms 1452 bytes from 184.108.40.206: icmp_seq=9 ttl=51 time=73.206 ms 1453 bytes from 220.127.116.11: icmp_seq=10 ttl=51 time=71.289 ms
In fact, ping works all the way up to 1494 bytes, though I believe the Mac counts the bytes differently than other *nixes. (I think it counts as data the 8 bytes of the ICMP header, but not the 20 bytes of IP header, unlike most which don't count either and some which count both.)
I don't want to give up the performance benefits of jumbo frames on my LAN just for this one broken web site, but of course I want my podcast. So I'm looking for suggestions for things to try.
My Mac has 2 built-in ethernet ports, so one thing I tried was connecting the second one with MTU 1500 and forcing
curl to use that port. Curl said it was using that port, but the MTU of that port had no effect on whether the download worked or not. It was the MTU of the first active ethernet port that mattered. I don't know what that means, either.