I want to forward udp packets broadcasted in one network to another. how can i do this ? I know we can put router in between and router can forward, but router can only unicast not broadcast.

  • Any particular protocol? – user1686 Apr 23 '12 at 17:22
  1. Bridge the networks and renumber one of them accordingly. Or

  2. Multicast instead. Be sure to select a multicast address that is routable, not one that's limited to the local link.

  • One possible way to bridge the networks is through a layer 2 VPN such as OpenVPN in bridge mode. – LawrenceC Apr 23 '12 at 17:50

If you control the software on the router (by building a router out of a PC, or a home gateway box with aftermarket Linux firmware distro on it), you could write your own traffic handling rules, or put your own daemon on the router to look for and forward the broadcast packets you care about, even if those kinds of frames are not typically routed.

  • Problem is unless you control all routers between the networks then at least one of them is very likely going to see the broadcast and just drop it, i.e. your ISP is not going to forward broadcast UDP traffic. Tunneling the traffic using a VPN or other method is the workaround. – LawrenceC Apr 23 '12 at 17:52
  • @ultrasawblade When he says, "I know we can put a router in between", that suggests he's talking about two networks at the same site. – Spiff Apr 23 '12 at 23:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.