I would like to be able to see when a file is created/read/edited, and be able to reroute thoughs events to a new location the next time that transaction is executed to another local file path.

PROBLEM: An application that does not allow you to manage where it "creates/reads/updates/deletes" files on disk.

  • To my knowledge, there is no file routing in Windows XP. – Der Hochstapler Apr 27 '12 at 12:51
  • @Oliver Salzburg: I'm not 100% sure, do you know anything about monitoring file triggers on Windows? – blunders Apr 27 '12 at 13:21
  • 1
    The monitoring part can easily be achieved with Process Monitor. It's the second part of your question that concerns me. – Der Hochstapler Apr 27 '12 at 13:22
  • +1 @Oliver Salzburg: Fair enough, beyond the monitor aspect, I really have no idea if it's possible, though wanted to confirm you discounting the feasibility of finding a solution without additional details. To your knowledge, is there any OS that enables this functionality? (The usecase being an application that does not allow you to manage where it writes files to disk.) – blunders Apr 27 '12 at 13:35
  • 1
    Once you know more about the problem, you could approach this with NTFS symbolic links or Volume Mount Points under Windows. – Der Hochstapler Apr 27 '12 at 14:09

For completeness sake, I repeat the information from my comments in an answer.


To see what files an application tries to access, you can use Process Monitor.
It will display any file and/or registry access of a process. You can use this information to determine what files are being used by a certain application.


To re-route what files are being access by a process, you have the following options on Windows:


is there any OS that enables this functionality?

On Unix/Linux you could create a named pipe that has the name which the application writes to.

You can create a program/script that reads from the named pipe and which writes to a regular file with a name of it's own choosing and which closes and reopens a new output file with a new name when it sense that is necessary (long pause in input?).

I don't know if NTFS has an equivalent, it well may.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.