I was having issues with my computer (Windows 7 Pro 64 bit) and our support guys said it was related to my login going to a temporary profile. So, he created me a new profile. However, now I've lost my PuTTY and WinSCP configurations because they are stored in the registry. I figured out how to load a hive from my old profile and exported the WinSCP and PuTTY branches. However, I can't merge them to the registry; I get an "Error accessing the registry" message. I have administrator privileges and can access the registry via regedit. Why can't I merge the exports that came from the same machine?
Here's a snippet of the putty.reg file that I exported from the registry after converting it to ASCII:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_USERS\SimonTatham\Software\SimonTatham] [HKEY_USERS\SimonTatham\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY] [HKEY_USERS\SimonTatham\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\Jumplist] "Recent sessions"=hex(7):63,00,73,00,70,00,32,00,74,00,68,00,31,00,6e,00,6f,00,\ 20,00,28,00,70,00,72,00,6f,00,64,00,29,00,00,00,74,00,68,00,32,00,2e,00,6e,\ 00,6f,00,2e,00,63,00,67,00,2e,00,6e,00,6d,00,73,00,2e,00,6d,00,6c,00,62,00,\ 2e,00,69,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,20,00,28,00,70,00,72,00,6f,00,64,00,29,00,00,\ 00,74,00,68,00,32,00,2e,00,6e,00,6f,00,2e,00,63,00,67,00,2e,00,6c,00,61,00,\ 62,00,2e,00,6e,00,6d,00,73,00,2e,00,6d,00,6c,00,62,00,2e,00,69,00,6e,00,65,\ 00,74,00,20,00,28,00,6c,00,61,00,62,00,29,00,00,00,73,00,63,00,6d,00,32,00,\ 2e,00,6e,00,6f,00,2e,00,63,00,67,00,2e,00,6e,00,6d,00,73,00,2e,00,6d,00,6c,\ 00,62,00,2e,00,69,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,00,00,63,00,73,00,70,00,31,00,74,00,\ 68,00,31,00,7a,00,7a,00,20,00,28,00,6c,00,61,00,62,00,29,00,00,00,63,00,73,\ 00,70,00,32,00,74,00,68,00,31,00,73,00,6f,00,20,00,28,00,70,00,72,00,6f,00,\ 64,00,29,00,00,00,74,00,68,00,31,00,2e,00,6e,00,6f,00,2e,00,63,00,67,00,2e,\ 00,6e,00,6d,00,73,00,2e,00,6d,00,6c,00,62,00,2e,00,69,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,\ 20,00,28,00,70,00,72,00,6f,00,64,00,29,00,00,00,74,00,68,00,31,00,2e,00,6e,\ 00,6f,00,2e,00,63,00,67,00,2e,00,6c,00,61,00,62,00,2e,00,6e,00,6d,00,73,00,\ 2e,00,6d,00,6c,00,62,00,2e,00,69,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,00,00,77,00,62,00,33,\ 00,63,00,6f,00,2e,00,73,00,6f,00,63,00,2e,00,73,00,68,00,61,00,77,00,2e,00,\ 63,00,61,00,00,00,73,00,72,00,31,00,2e,00,6e,00,6f,00,2e,00,63,00,67,00,2e,\ 00,6f,00,73,00,73,00,2e,00,6d,00,6c,00,62,00,2e,00,69,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,\ 00,00,74,00,68,00,31,00,30,00,2d,00,70,00,72,00,6f,00,64,00,00,00,61,00,70,\ 00,70,00,36,00,73,00,6f,00,63,00,6c,00,61,00,62,00,00,00,00,00
Since the file is over 3000 lines long, I'm not posting all of it. The unicode version of the file (before conversion) began with ÿþ and had a space between each character and each new line had an empty line between. For example:
ÿþW i n d o w s R e g i s t r y E d i t o r V e r s i o n 5 . 0 0 [ H K E Y _ U S E R S \ S i m o n T a t h a m \ S o f t w a r e \ S i m o n T a t h a m ] [ H K E Y _ U S E R S \ S i m o n T a t h a m \ S o f t w a r e \ S i m o n T a t h a m \ P u T T Y ]