I saw this

strange character online. I also noted that:

  1. It needs 26 backspaces to delete but behaves like one character when selecting.
  2. It is drawn vertically covering many rows above.
    Strange looking character
    What is this character and why is it behaving like this ?

It's stacked diacritics on top of one another, as seen here, and in the infamous zalgo text; in this case stacked accents used in many non-English Latin-based languages.

Specifically, it seems to be a tilde, used as an accent.

Credit where credit is due, it uses the same techniques used for the faces in this question.

protected by bwDraco Jun 27 '16 at 3:27

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.