How do I type a carriage return control character, in Windows or in Linux?

I'd like to type a backspace character too.


4 Answers 4


In Linux, your keyboard will send carriage return if you type Ctrl-M, linefeed when you type Ctrl-J, and backspace when you type Ctrl-H. Can't say with Windows, since you can be typing into so many different kinds of text-input controls, including a console window.


In Windows, hold Alt and type 013 on the numpad.

  • 3
    Note that this is Windows-only
    – wjandrea
    Jun 17, 2018 at 1:39

In linux, backspace is Ctrl+H, carriage return is Ctrl+M

If you want to insert a literal carriage return/backspace, you must quote it. Quoting is program-specific, but usually (or at least in bash) Ctrl+V quotes the next character. Other programs have different quoting mechanism, e.g. Ctrl+Q in emacs or Meta+V in nano


  • To insert a carriage return in bash, you would press Ctrl+V then Ctrl+M
  • To insert a backspace in nano you would press Meta+V then Ctrl+H
  • To insert a carriage return in emacs, you would press Ctrl+Q then Ctrl+M

Edit: To insert another control character, look in this table in the first column. For example, to type an escape character you would press ^[ (Ctrl+[)

  • 2
    It seems to be Alt+V in nano? Jun 7, 2012 at 16:22
  • Whoops! I'll fix the answer
    – user49740
    Jun 7, 2012 at 16:24

The decimal value for the ASCII carriage return character is 13. With Microsoft Windows, hold down the <ALT> key and type the numbers "13" on the numeric keypad; the row of numeric above QWERTY won't work. This will insert the "♪" character in to your document.

You can also copy the "♪" character from this answer and paste it in to your document as well.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .