I would like to open the Volume Control popup directly without using the mouse or keyboard. Currently, I am using AutoHotkey to press Win+B to focus on the system tray, Left to highlight the Volume Control icon icon, and then Enter to bring up the popup.

volume control

I assume that this is possible, considering that you can open the View Available Networks window with

rundll32 van.dll,RunVAN

as opposed to using the Network icon icon.

Is there a way to invoke the Volume Control popup from the command prompt? Please note that I am not looking to use the Volume Mixer (sndvol):

volume mixer


sndvol.exe is what you want, you just need to use the -f flag to make it show just the master volume slider:

sndvol.exe -f

Running just sndvol.exe opens the volume mixer, as you noted.

  • 3
    Future Googlers: Note that you can access Mute button with Tab Spacebar – cssyphus Sep 12 '18 at 17:45

sndvol.exe allows you to specify window location by adding coordinates after -f switch:

sndvol.exe -f 26214900

This example creates window at x=500 y=400

coordinates = y * 65536 + x, where x and y - signed integers

BTW there is third command line parameter... may be handle?...



As mentioned in my comment, using sndvol -f as per @Indrek's answer opens the Volume Control window in an unusual location, away from the system tray. Using AutoHotkey, we can make the popup appear where we see fit:

SetWinDelay, -1
Run, % "sndvol -f"
WinWaitActive, ahk_class #32770
WinMove, % A_ScreenWidth - 84, % A_ScreenHeight - 305 - 48

This script places the window at the bottom right of the screen. You can customize it to by changing the last line (WinMove).



On windows XP: Use sndvol32 as follows

sndvol32 no params to display master volume window

sndvol32 -x to display small master volume window

sndvol32 -t to display volume control only (as per sound icon)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.