I'm in Viet Nam and most social websites (Facebook, Twitter and the likes - even reddit) are blocked by the ISP DNS server.
I tried to change the DNS server of my Arch box using the
resolv.conf file, but it failed miserably since
dhcpd generates this file automatically everytime I connect to the LAN. I've been looking around to try and find out how to fix this, without success. Either I s*ck at Googling, either it is non-trivial to do so.
Meh, apparently posting it here made me feel guilty and I had to push my search a bit more. I found the same article than Ankur post below. This is what I made, if anybody ever faces the same problem:
$ sudo gvim /etc/dhcpcd.conf
Add "nohook resolv.conf" at the tail of the file.
$ sudo gvim /etc/resolv.conf
Add to the file (OpenDNS servers):
nameserver 188.8.131.52 nameserver 184.108.40.206
Or (Google DNS):
nameserver 220.127.116.11 nameserver 18.104.22.168
Then, verify it worked (need package
$ dig www.facebook.com ; <<>> DiG 9.9.1-P1 <<>> www.facebook.com ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 16994 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1 ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION: ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;www.facebook.com. IN A ;; ANSWER SECTION: www.facebook.com. 89 IN A 22.214.171.124 ;; Query time: 87 msec ;; SERVER: 126.96.36.199#53(188.8.131.52) ;; WHEN: Thu Jun 28 00:43:23 2012 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 61
;; SERVER: 184.108.40.206#53(220.127.116.11), it worked.