I am using Word 2010 and would like to use a "field code" in a contract so that I only have to type the Company's name in once and then have it update the rest of the document. Do I do this in Quick Parts or maybe use a macro instead?
- Create a new Property Field (File->Info->Advanced Properties [under 'Properties'])
- Custom Tab
- Name: "Example Field"
- Type: Text
- Value: "1.0"
- Click 'Add', then 'OK'
- This adds it to the displayed 'Properties' listing
- If you ever want to revise or change it, come back to this listing and select it, update the displayed value in 'Value' and press the new 'Modify' button
- Insert the new field into use in document
- From document you want to insert this into (Insert->Text->Quick Parts->Field)
- Category: Document Information
- Field name: DocProperty
- Property: 'Example Field'
Whenever update of the value is needed use the process listed above to re-access the property. Then press Ctrl+A, then F9 and select ‘All’ for update to complete. This does not apply to Headers & Footers, these need manual updates (R.C.->Update Field), not sure why but quite easy to do!