I'm not really sure what to call the "minimap" feature of a text editor.

For example, Sublime Text has what I would call a Minimap feature. A skinny map on the left side where you can click to get to different parts of the file.


Seems like there would be a Notepad++ plugin for this.

Anybody know?


The new version of NP++ (6.0) has document map feature. Go View->Document Map. Document map or minimap will appear right hand side of the editor


I am not aware of any plugin like that, but Notepad++ has a Function List plugin which lists your function on the side, which helps with navigation a little. Google "Notepad++ function list plugin" for information


If you use only one of Notepad++'s 2 frames (views) at a time, you use this hack:

  1. Make the splitter between the frames vertical (if horizontal, right-click on the splitter and select Rotate to Left).
  2. Right-click the tab of the file you wish to edit and select Clone to other view.
  3. Click the view you wish to make the minimap and do Ctrl + Mousewheel-down until the font size is as small as possible/desired.
  4. Check View > Synchronize Vertical Scrolling and optionally View > Synchronize Horizontal Scrolling.

Now scrolling either the "minimap" or normal view scrolls the other. Sadly, text selections are not replicated.

  • You sure you don't mean "Synchronize Vertical Scrolling"? – Der Hochstapler Feb 21 '12 at 14:21
  • @Oliver: You may want to synchronize horizontal scrolling as well if you have long lines. – Lèse majesté Apr 16 '12 at 7:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.