Windows has the familiar Alt+Tab key combination to switch between recently used windows. I've also seen it set up so that the right Alt key can be used to bring up a carousel of all open windows that can be cycled between without holding down the Alt key.

I don't know how make it do that, and wouldn't want to do exactly that in any case because I need the right Alt key for use as Alt.

I would love to be able to bring up the carousel of open windows by some other method (e.g. I could sacrifice caps lock for that purpose cheerfully enough). Is there any way to do that?


You can do it by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Tab. On non-US keyboards that have the AltGr key, you can use AltGr+Tab which does the same. If you only have a right Alt key, you will have to use it in combination with Ctrl.

So Ctrl+LAlt+Tab and Ctrl+RAlt+Tab are the same on US keyboards.

  • When you have AltGr, there is no need to additionally press Ctrl. AltGr+Tab invokes the functionality the OP asked for. – Der Hochstapler Jul 21 '12 at 12:24
  • 1
    Yep, sorry about that. I've corrected the answer. – user 99572 is fine Jul 21 '12 at 12:26

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.