I want to change permissions on a tree on Centos 4 to add execute permissions for all directories recursively from a directory. If I use normal chmod, files other than directories are also modified:

chmod -R o+x /my/path/here

How can I only affect directories?


Run find on -type d (directories) with the -exec primary to perform the chmod only on folders:

find /your/path/here -type d -exec chmod o+x {} \;

To be sure it only performs it on desired objects, you can run just find /your/path/here -type d first; it will simply print out the directories it finds.

| improve this answer | |

See Command line examples - chmod in the Wikipedia.

chmod -R a-x+X directory    remove the execute permission on all files in 
                            a directory tree, while allowing for directory browsing.

As added by Daniel: this should work in your case:

chmod -R o+X directory
| improve this answer | |
  • This would affect the current permissions of files within directories. – scriptmonster Jul 29 '12 at 15:27
  • @scriptmonster the line quoted is wrong for this case, but chmod -R o+X directory should work for the OP. – Daniel Beck Jul 29 '12 at 15:36
  • 2
    For those wondering about the difference, like me, it is that X will also apply execute permissions to any file which already has at least one execute permission bit already set (either user, group or other). In the general case the accepted answer is better. – ixe013 Nov 27 '14 at 18:23
find /home/mydir -type d | xargs chmod ugo+rx

This works on CentOS6, which the above find -exec does not. Basically it just pipes the list of directories to the xargs command which sends them to chmod. The chmod then sets universal read and execute (search) on the directories. To do this for all users in home use sudo:

sudo sh -c "find /home/ -type d | xargs chmod ugo+rx"
| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.