I regularly access web pages which rarely change, but which load slowly. They are pages of notes on an internal company wiki (confluence).

Is there a plugin for Chrome or Firefox which will allow me to cache pages for a specified amount of time, when I click a button? And ideally let me invalidate the cache on demand if I know/suspect the page has changed.

  • I'd prefer to address the cause rather than the symptoms. Adjusting the caching directives on the server is better than overriding them at the client. Speeding up the service is better still. – RedGrittyBrick Aug 8 '12 at 8:55
  • @RedGrittyBrick: ISTM that he cannot control the entire communication link. Remember, the bottleneck can be on the remote server (which cannot be controlled by the OP - because otherwise what would be the point of his question? - and the bottleneck can be also hardware-related like a slow disk, NIC, CPU etc.) and/or any link between them (for ex. he cannot change the LAN hardware). Yes, this happens. It happened also to me. But the solution isn't to thinker with the browser's cache. See my response. – John Thomas Aug 8 '12 at 9:01

The simplest way is to use File | Save As... in order to save the page as txt, html, html complete or even mht which is the preferred way if your browser supports it.

However, this saves only the current page and sometimes isn't so easy to manage the saved files.

Another solution is by using some Firefox extensions like Scrapbook or similar which will give you more power than the above solution.

The 3rd way - if you need to download entire sites (or part of them) and need more power and flexibility - is by using offline browsers which are separate programs but they do a much better job in getting offline the content you want. One of the most well-known free offline browser is HTTrack but there are other programs too.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.