I expect to move abroad soon. My current desktop computer was custom made in Japan.I was hoping to use it in Australia. I read somewhere that it is as simple as changing the power supply unit (PSU) over. Unfortunately I can't find any information to back that up.

In Japan the power supplied is 100V at 60Hz. In Australia the power supplied is 240V at 50Hz.


Can I use my computer overseas if I change the PSU to one from that country?


I don't wish to use a power adapter. I want a more permanent solution. Thanks

  • Shameless product promotion! ;-) "Universal AC input from 90~264V — No more hassle of flipping that tiny red switch to select the voltage input!" (Corsair) – Aki Aug 13 '12 at 6:23

Historically many PSUs came with a switch in the back for switching between 110 and 220 volts. Today most are universal, adjusting to the input voltage. In either case you are covered.

So all you need is the cable, as most PSUs have a standard C13 mains input, finding the right mains plug for your destination should be easy.

  • 2
    Or check if the PSU is "universal", i.e. self adapting to the line voltage. This might be rare for an ATX power supply. – sawdust Aug 13 '12 at 5:55
  • @sawdust I didn't know those existed. +1 for mentioning it. – user3463 Aug 13 '12 at 7:49
  • @sawdust I think these days most ATX PSUs are "universal", talking anything from ~90V to >250V at either 50 or 60Hz. But the specification needs to be checked (often written on the PSU). – Richard Aug 13 '12 at 7:52
  • 1
    @Richard - perhaps they are common! Just looked at a 5-year old ATX PSU, and it has "universal" input for voltage & frequency. Rats, could have written a more complete answer than Randolph. – sawdust Aug 13 '12 at 20:30
  • 1
    Heh. It's not all about the rep. Feel free to modify my answer if you feel you have more to add. – user3463 Aug 13 '12 at 20:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.