Is there a device into which I could plug a line from the telephone socket in the wall, and then a second port that I can connect to my desk phone?

Then, using software, I could place calls, see caller ID etc from my computer?

closed as not a real question by Shinrai, Indrek, Canadian Luke, Diogo, Nifle Aug 24 '12 at 18:03

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • There are TONS of VoIP phone systems that will do this (if you replace 'telephone socket' with 'ethernet'). – Shinrai Aug 24 '12 at 14:17
  • 1
    Is it just me, or does seeing the images below "relive the excitement" of connecting to the internet with the noise of these modems? :/ – William C Aug 24 '12 at 16:22

Yes, there is, a PCI fax modem.

enter image description here

or for laptops, a USB fax modem

enter image description here

Then any good old "Caller ID" software will do what you're looking for.

  • Thank you! Do you know any for Linux? – Gausie Aug 24 '12 at 15:32
  • @Gausie - I am sure they exist. – Ramhound Aug 24 '12 at 15:44
  • 1
    @Gausie - the classic is mgetty. – William C Aug 24 '12 at 16:18

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.