I have just installed a PC keyboard on my Mac Mini, everything is looking good, I swapped the keys Alt and Windows so that it's more natural for a Mac keyboard but I just can't get used to Alt Gr.

I need to use some Alt Gr + keys to get some specific keys on a non English keyboard. While this works as expected on a PC, e.g. Alt Gr2 to get the @ sign on the PC keybaord connected to the Mac then the Alt Gr acts like a Command key

Hence, to get an @ sign I have to use Alt2 and not Alt Gr2 — thus, can I remap Alt Gr to Alt?

I keep pressing the wrong key. I have to switch between Mac and PC keyboards.

  • I have the same problem and didn't find the answer (also the below though) – Maniankara Nov 12 '17 at 21:35

Get KeyRemap4MacBook or DoubleCommand

These keys are normally termed as Modifier Keys. Mac OSX does allow some modifications , to swap functionality etc, but does not allow to combine the functionality. You'll need to get one of the above add-ons to get it done.

Just for reference, will attach a screenshot of the default OSX key modifier functionality.
Mac OSX Modifier Keys

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.